Sunday, June 17, 2012
NEW FORMS OF COMMUNITY...FACEBOOK?
One of the ideas mentioned at the end of MacIntyre's After Virtue was that the American imperium is winding down and so may bring on new forms of community. One such possibility is of course the Internet and even this weblog. One popular solution, many friends and colleagues told me, was facebook. I do not merely criticize the lack of capitalization. I spent many months on facebook, including adding photos and adding new friends. My solutions? It is not a good medium for any purpose: not for connecting with friends, let alone new ones; the language used by participants is dull and obscure; the photos and updates narcissistic and absurd. As facebook went public on the stock exchange, that was the last straw. And the stock is a terrible overpriced stock, even at 22 dollars a share. So much for connecting with old friends. So much for the new forms of community on the Internet. I am more at home on my Blogger soapbox.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment